Skip to Content

David Sanner Posted by: David Sanner 3 months ago

One of the biggest indicators that home odors are being caused by mold is a musty type of smell. Resist the urge to ignore it, as musty odors caused by mold are a warning sign of potentially big problems!

Is It Mold?

When mold is actively growing it releases an organic compound that has a distinctive odor. Most of us would recognize it as a “musty” smell.

The mold could have been caused by a leak that was repaired but the damage to walls or floor wasn’t fixed. 

Or it could be due to persistent moisture over time. This type of moisture can cause mold to grow under floorboards, behind walls and wallpaper, or even in the ductwork of your home.

Mold can grow within 24-48 hours of coming into contact with moisture, so it’s understandable that most homeowners don’t catch it right away.

Unless a leak is incredibly obvious, like a burst pipe or overflowing toilet, you may have moisture collecting and causing mold without knowing it.

Address Mold As Soon As You See It

It can be tempting to ignore mold, especially if it seems to be a small amount in an area of your home you don’t use often, like a closet or unfinished basement space. But living with mold in your home is dangerous.

Breathing in the spores from mold causes health problems that range from respiratory issues, allergy symptoms (like itchy eyes, sinus congestion, etc.), rashes, and headaches.

Some types of mold can even cause neurological problems if they release mycotoxins.

Mold is a bigger risk to those who are pregnant, elderly, immunocompromised, or young children.

The best thing to do if you’ve noticed a persistent musty smell in your home is to have it inspected for mold.

At Lake City Restoration we provide mold removal inspections to make it easy to find out exactly where the mold is and how to address it.

Look For Signs Of Water Damage

One of the best ways to determine if mold is causing the musty odor in your home is to look for signs of water damage.

Parts of your home that have been affected by water damage or tend to be damp, like bathrooms and laundry rooms, are an excellent place to start.

Changes in season can cause condensation to form in your basement which often leads to mold forming. Using a dehumidifier to keep the humidity level in your home low is a great way to prevent mold from forming.

What If It Isn’t Mold?

If you keep smelling that unpleasant musty smell in your home but don’t want to assume right away that it’s mold, there are a few common culprits you can check off your list first:

  • Forgotten piles of damp laundry
  • An HVAC system that hasn’t been recently serviced
  • Dirty carpets (have them deep cleaned annually)
  • Front-load washing machines (mold around the rubber gasket)
  • Mildewed bathroom shower curtain or mat

Call Lake City Restoration For Help

Most of the time it isn’t safe or cost-effective to try to clean up mold in your home by yourself. You can learn more about our recommendations for deciding whether to try a DIY cleanup method in one of our recent blog posts.

If you’ve noticed mold in your home or have persistent musty home odors, call us right away. Our restoration specialists are available 24/7 to help!

Remember, our services include mold restoration, water damage cleanup, fire damage restoration, storm damage repair, and other necessary restoration services.

You can schedule a professional mold inspection with one of our restoration specialists today.